1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing East Indies

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wbruder17, Sep 30, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I have 2 East Indies ducks. They are supposed to be females, but I have no clue how to sex them. They are old enough to lay eggs, but I have not seen any eggs from them yet. They are my only ducks and get along famously together. They are higher up on the pecking order than most of my chickens, who they are housed wiith.

They are not high quality purebred, as the one has a lot of white on its chest and the other has a patch or two of white on its chest.

I just want to know if one or the other, or both is female/male. Is there any way to tell?

They both used to beat up on the wild Mallard population when I let them free range, but a falcon attack stopped the free ranging. Don't worry tho, they have a huge enclosure with a pool, so the loss of free ranging is not the worst thingg in the world.

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Look for the drake feather, the curled feather in their tail that points back up toward their head. If it's not there they are girls. This time of year is not their laying season, they may not lay until Feb/March. [​IMG]

3. rocketbunni

rocketbunni Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    do they quack? or make the raspy sound? only the girls will do a proper quack [​IMG]

4. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Ok, cool. No curling back feather and they quack like crazy. Guess they're girls and I will look for eggs in the spring!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by