Sexing EEs and Determining Breed of Red Chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MichelleT, Jun 23, 2017.

1. MichelleT

MichelleT Songster

Sep 20, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Hello! We got 5 chicks in May and of the five I am (pretty) sure of the breed and gender of two. The remaining three have me curious so I thought I'd ask the experts. :D We got all five at the same time and from a local feed store who gets its chicks from a local "reputable" hatchery. They take back any cockerels (for a small fee) and claim to have 95% success rate in sexing their female chicks. So, let's see!

Chick #1 (Marigold) is a breed question. She was a rouge escapee from her brooder in the chick room at the feed store. When we went to pick out our chicks she was running around on the floor and we decided to take her because she showed spunk. She was yellow as a chick and the feed store at the time was selling 4 yellow chick breeds: Buff Orpington, White Leghorn, Cinnamon Queen and New Hampshire Red. We've ruled out the first two so now the question is Cinnamon Queen or New Hampshire Red? Her legs are bright yellow, if that makes a difference, which is where she got her name. Marigold is 8 weeks old.

Attached Files:

2. MichelleT

MichelleT Songster

Sep 20, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Chicks #2-3 (Zoe and Indie) were sold as Ameraucanas but having done my research I am well aware that they are in all probability Easter Eggers. Which is fine by me. They're both lovely and I'm wondering if maybe I have boys here? On Zoe her feathers appear to be more pointy than they are because of the coloring, however they are definitely more pointy than the other chicks of different breeds. They are both 10 weeks old. See what you think, here are Zoe and Indie:

Attached Files:

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Both ee are pullets. The coloring of the firsts feathers are making them appear pointy, but they are not

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  4. chickenlover❤️

chickenlover❤️ Chirping

Jun 20, 2017
    Zoe looks like a pullet to me. Indie, not so sure based on the semi raised peacomb; however there's not redness to it. I cant see very well how many rows are in Indie's comb. Would you want to post a pic of the comb, as a close up type?

5. summerb123

summerb123 Crowing

Apr 26, 2016
    Mississippi
    Marigold is your new Hampshire red
    You EEs are stunning! No obvious signs of a Cockerel yet on your EEs.

6. MichelleT

MichelleT Songster

Sep 20, 2014
    Denver, CO
    My son will be glad to hear that Zoe is a pullet... he picked her out and named her and would be really bummed if she wasn't a Zoe.

As far as Indie goes, she has only one row... here are a couple of close ups below.

I was hoping so... they just seem more stately to me than the Cinnamon Queen. But I'm fine either way.

Thanks all for your expertise!

summerb123 likes this.
  7. summerb123

summerb123 Crowing

Apr 26, 2016
    Mississippi
    Here is my cinnamon Queens they look a lil different!
    IMG_20170601_151351.jpg IMG_20170601_151857.jpg IMG_20170601_151940.jpg

8. MichelleT

MichelleT Songster

Sep 20, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Yes indeed! They all have quite a bit more white on them than my Marigold!

9. MichelleT

MichelleT Songster

Sep 20, 2014
    Denver, CO
    And I'm back! Now I'm wondering if Marigold might be a Martin... in fact, I think I know the answer... take a look at the tail feathers and a head shot and let me know if you need different/better photos. Boy, girl or too early to tell? S/he is 11 weeks old today.
    Marigold or Martin - headshot.JPG Marigold or Martin - tail feathers.JPG

10. debid

debid Crowing

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Marigold is a red sexlink and 100% female. There is a lot of range to the % of red/white but those white tail feathers on a red bird positively scream sexlinked pullet.

BTW, a New Hampshire would have a black tail, a sexlink cockerel would be almost solid white.

drumstick diva and Ol Grey Mare like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: