sexing EE's

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by scooter147, May 13, 2009.

1. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I hatched some EE's, they were hatched on April 4.
    I am having a devil of a time sexing them. I have 5 and I keep going back from having 3 roos to 3 hens. Two I am positive are hens, two positive they are roos. The one I keep flip flopping on.
    Since they are not a large comb breed I can't seem to figure it out.
    I have someone that will take the roos this weekend (lives 90 miles away) so I don't want to give a hen away.

Any ways to tell by looking?

Camera is broke so unfortunately I can't post pics.

2. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

I've got an EE that has a huge comb. I am positive he is a he. He's only 5 weeks old, and he's got a huge red single comb, and big huge wattles. He's the only one of my EE's with that comb type. The rest of them all have pea combs.

I'll get a better picture later when I go out to the chicken coop, but you can see it a little in this pic.

Gandalf about week old

[​IMG]

Gandalf about 5 weeks old. You can see him on the right side.

[​IMG]

*edited to add a pic*

Here's a pic of one of our other EE's who is about 9 weeks old. We thought she was a he, but she is a girl. Her comb is much different, and not red at all.

I forgot to add, Gandalf tried to crow this morning, but it came out as a small squeak [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bluemoon

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  3. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    With my EEs so far, the boys have had longer, pointier tails. The girls tail feathers are rounder and shorter. The boys combs get redder sooner and usually have thicker combs that have 3 rows with the middle one being a little higher. The girls seem to have one row to their comb and its much smaller, should be mostly yellow also.

4. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

I got some better pics of our young rooster Gandalf.... He's our only EE with this type of comb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bluemoon

5. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    He looks just like my Larry Bird!

6. melonhead

melonhead Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2012
    Albany, NY
    I know this is looong after the start of this post, but OMG gandalf is the cutest thing ever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by