sexing EEs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by heksa, Jul 9, 2010.

1. heksa

heksa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    So, we got 10 EEs that are about two weeks old now. I keep reading that is is harder to sex EEs. Why?

When will I be able to tell the gender, at what age? What should I look at – comb, fathers, legs?

I have 3 chicks that are considerably bigger then the rest of the bunch. Are they going to turned out roosters?

I appreciate all the advise you guys are giving. This is such a great forum.

2. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    I have had some success with the sexing them, if you look at the way they are feathering out the boys usually feather out much slower and will get their tails later.

Here is a picture of two 2 week old EEs the one without the tail turned out the be a boy.

[​IMG]

The one without the tail all grown up:

[​IMG]

and the one with the tail all grown up:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  3. heksa

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    Ha, that's interesting, cause the three biggest of my EEs have also the longest tails. [​IMG] There goes my theory on size and gender. [​IMG]

4. Hollywood Chickens

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    If you have some pictures it would be great, but it is kind of early to tell, and with EE's the comb is not much of an signs because they are so small.

ETA: Also roosters have pointy wing feathers and hens round-- it works 60% of the time.

5. heksa

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    I have pictures from two weeks ago, so that won't help. I will try to take some over the weekend, but it's probably too soon yet to tell.

I've found an information that coloring is a little different - in roos being more solid and hens barred. I I will watch for that as well.

Thanks.

6. heksa

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    just for the heck of it, a few pics from two weeks ago

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm suspecting these two brown ones (w/o the stripes) to be roosters.

7. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    feather sexing is probably the only way pullets develop faster then cockarels also you can watch for rounded feathers on your pullets and a more pointy feather for your rooster. If i remember correctly.

8. Hollywood Chickens

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Quote:The 2 brown ones have tails coming in they are most likely hens, however I can't really see if the silver one in the back has tail coming or not.

9. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

I have an EE like the brown one...so far she is a she! [​IMG]

Ladyhawk is a pretty girl...gold around the neck and black on her back with grey beard and grey on her rump and reddish color on head.

10. Ace918

Ace918 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2009
    Sweetwater, Tn.
    I have been pretty lucky looking at the spurs, the Roos tend to have their spurs grow faster, faster being relative...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by