sexing eggs by temp?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by maf2008, Dec 14, 2009.

1. maf2008

maf2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    My last hatch were LOTS of barred rock.... (most can be sexed but not all....) my temp was set at 102 most of the time as it has been cold and I did not want a dip in temp... soooo most of my barred rock chicks have large white non defined "girl" spots on head. There is only ONE male looking one with a tiny defined white spot. whhheeeeelll I hope so.

Of course this cant be for sure... can anyone tell if they think the temp can play a role who hatches and the sex of the chicks? what do you do in anything to "pre determine" sex of chicks? what can be done?

(duh...... besides 50/50 guess...LOL)

2. JCB

JCB New Egg

Dec 12, 2009
    I have been wondering the same thing. This past summer I hatched 2 chicks in an incubator that were both males and then I had a hen hatch out 3 and they turned out to be all roosters also. What are the chances?

3. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    You can sex reptiles by temps, but it does not work the same for chickens [​IMG]

I wish it did...then I would always have just hens. Sadly it is the luck of the draw and nature....

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:Absolutely not. Temperature can not change the sex of a chick. If it could ... think about it ..... all the hatcheries would be hatching alot of females!

5. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I tried to hatch 12 total eggs over the summer... all by my broody hens... all eggs that hatched and lived (9 total) were roosters!?

6. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    So, we thinking that the heat might influence/change the sex or at a certain temp all roosters die in the hatcher? I guess one could argue that if you have a 50% hatch and mostly pullets yep temp can make a differnce other wise whatcha thinkin????

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote:You have that head spot thing backwards. The small spots are GIRL spots and the huge, splotchy ones are BOY spots. No, temperature does not play a role with avians, only reptiles.

Trust me on the BR thing. I've raised quite a few from hatch and rarely get the sexing wrong. The pic below shows a BR cockerel. Sounds like you got a bunch of boys in that batch.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by