1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing EGGS? Pointy Boys, Round Girls

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BawGock, Mar 1, 2009.

1. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
  2. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Oh, I sure hope not - my two eggs are definitely pointy, and I cannot keep roosters. [​IMG]

3. [​IMG] I wouldn't bet on it. But it could be a fun experiment if it wouldn't be the end of the world for you to end up with all Roo's....

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That's a complete myth. That means a hen who always lays a round egg, and most hens lay one particular shape every time, will never produce a rooster. My Lexie produces mostly cockerels and she's never laid a pointy egg in her life.

Think logically about this: if that was true, hatcheries would never hatch more roosters than they needed because they could just toss pointy eggs.

5. oldbuzzard

oldbuzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    cuba, new york
    good point

6. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    I think to test this wives' tale you would need eggs from one hen and compare them relative to each other.
    Because there would definitely be differences between eggs from different hens.
    I'm gettin' all scientific here! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    just having fun with it!
    Carolyn

7. oldbuzzard

oldbuzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    cuba, new york
    i hugged my chickens today [​IMG]

8. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Besides, what does Martha Stewart know about chickens and farming? LOL [​IMG]

9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Then most pullet eggs would be roos too. I set 24 pointy pullet eggs and hatched 1 roo. I've only hatched 3 roos total.

10. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    Quote:I wouldn't look to Martha Stewart for farm advice. I lived in that part of the country and rich millionaires buy big estates and call them "farms." Perhaps she gets an agricultural tax break for calling it a farm? Martha is as much a farmer as I am a brain surgeon.

I rented a house on one of these "farms." The owners were car dealers and the only "farm" aspect was their riding horses.

Wayne

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by