Sexing eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sumi, Jul 1, 2011.

1. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I've been told that fat, round eggs are "girl eggs" and longer, pointier eggs are "boy eggs". Have tried it myself with mixed results. Still got a few boys, though mostly girls. A friend of ours who hatches chicks in his incubator all the time tried it and he gets way more girls than boys. It really worked for him.

2. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    I wonder if that's like saying when a woman carries a child all in the front, it's a boy, but when it wraps around her middle its a girl? A bit iffy, I'd imagine.

3. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    If this were the case the hatcheries would not have as many roosters to get rid of, so I take it to be an old wives tale.....

4. EquestrianGal

EquestrianGal Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    it's probably right about 50% of the time [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    All of my hatches are 50/50 for the most part. I do have a breeding program and am breeding for Red Stars and Comets so when they hatch out I can tell by the color if they are boys or girls. I also breed RIR's but have to wait on those but my hatches have averaged around 50/50. There have been some hatches where I might get a few more girls but then another hatch it may be a few more boys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by