Sexing Embden geese anyone know how?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Elwood Lightfoot, Oct 10, 2010.

1. I have two Embden geese that are suppose to be a pair and both have the same basic look the pooch or pouch between the legs that hangs down and both make the same sounds I was wondering if I might have two of the same sex maybe? Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Geese in general are hard to sex. Ganders are usually taller. More out going. Usually the one going toward strangers. Their supposed to have higher voices. Geese are smaller, shy, have deeper voices. The only sure fire way in sexing is vent sexing.

3. Both of my geese charge the fence if anyone comes near I am the only one allowed to come close LOL they are so alike in manner, sounds and size I guess it would take having them vent sexed to tell or if one should start laying eggs perhaps.

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] It's easy to tell. See the gander on the right.....left......right...... uh,.....they sure do look alike! [​IMG]

(my gander is on the right. He's taller & has less belly, & takes the lead wherever they go.0

5. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    The way I can tell is the goose has pink color feet and the gander has orange color feet.

6. sewandgrow

sewandgrow Sewandgrow

Sep 7, 2010
    Turlock California
    I used to have Embdens in my younger years & had to vent checks them to sell them. It was pretty easy to learn. I am sure you can do it. I bet you could Google it or You tube it......LOL
    Good Luck
    Karen in Turlock

7. queenbeezz

queenbeezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Orlando
    [​IMG]

Here are my Embdens, Ethel (on left) and Goostoff (on right) along with Ping and Pong, the Chinese geese (I believe they are both female).

As you can see Goostoff is more erect, he is bigger even though he is a year younger. His body is longer and he is taller. Mostly it's attitude. He walks with his head up more, he is always on the lookout like it's his job to watch out. His actions are more masculine where she is more ladylike,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by