Sexing embdens?

docdubz

Songster
5 Years
Nov 24, 2016
Central Texas
I have 7 six month old embdens. When they were goslings a couple of them had weak sex linking so the best I could say was "they might be ganders, maybe?" I've tried vent sexing them but so far that hasnt gone well. Ive been trying to go by behavior instead. Theres one that I can definitely say is a gander because hes mean like a junk yard dog. But hes the only one that stands out. Im guessing this is because they arent matured yet, can I expect that to change enough to be able to tell?

As they age you’ll get a better feel of who’s what. It can still be tricky because even two ganders or two girls can settle into a dominant and submissive role with the more dominant one being protective of the other and the submissive one acting like more aloof.
Males will mount males, females will mount other females or even males, so that isn’t a sure way of telling sex either.
If one starts laying you can be sure that’s a girl though.😉

I'm dealing with the same problem. I have two that are much bigger than the rest, but I'd like to butcher any extra males for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I'm dealing with the same problem. I have two that are much bigger than the rest, but I'd like to butcher any extra males for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Yea i went with 3 females and 4 straight run so I could either have an extra female or extra dinner. But when they arrived they were already a week old and their autosexing color difference was already faded. And when I try to vent sex the only thing I can get to pop out past their feathers is their crap. I was hoping Id be able to learn any subtle differences like how with chickens you can tell a week old pullet from a week old cockerel by paying attention to their shape. But the only difference I can tell is behavior. I got the one that has to be a male because he is super aggressive and theres one that Im calling a female because she has a "dainty sweetheart" disposition but the other 5 all act about the same.

Back
Top Bottom