Sexing Feathered ISA Browns and Ameraucanas

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LittleLivin, Mar 20, 2018.

1. LittleLivin

LittleLivin In the Brooder

Mar 10, 2018
    Beaver County, PA
    I hope this is the right place for this! I'll be getting three Ameraucanas and three ISA Browns soon. They will be feathered when I get them. I would like to have all hens. Will it be easy to tell pullets from cockerels in these breeds once they are over a month old? Is there a tried and true way to tell the difference?
    Thanks in advance!

Crazy for Chickens! likes this.
  2. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Free Ranging

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    You can tell Isa Browns (just another name for a Red Sex Link) from hatch, because they are sex linked. At 8 weeks you should be able to tell you Easter Eggers. (you'll be getting EEs, unless you are buying from a breeder, or, like Meyer hatchery and My Pet Chicken, do have true Ameraunana.)

LittleLivin likes this.
  3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Isa browns will be reddish. If it's a cockerel, he'll be mostly white. You are most likely getting Easter Eggers, and not Ameraucanas. Those are a bit harder to tell, b/c you will be totally dependent on comb development at that age, and some birds develop faster than others.

4. LittleLivin

LittleLivin In the Brooder

Mar 10, 2018
    Beaver County, PA
    Thank you both! I never realized Isa brown and red sex link were the same! Learn something new everyday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: