Sexing French Black Copper Marans Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wsdareme, Jun 29, 2010.

1. wsdareme

wsdareme Songster

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    I have 3 surviving French Black Copper Marans chicks from my hatch of 7. Out of the 7 that hatched, 1 was white/yellow in color. Fortunately, it is one of the survivors. I wasn't expecting different color chicks. Are the light colored chicks normal in FBCM's? All the rest are dark (or I should say, the other two surviving chicks are dark). Is color an indication of sex? I found information on CUCKOO Marans being sexed by color, but nothing about French Black Copper Marans. [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Your light chick is a Wheaten Marans that sometimes pop up when breeding FBCMs.

You won't know males from females until they are at least 4 weeks old.

Wheaten Marans can lay very dark eggs too!

3. wsdareme

wsdareme Songster

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Quote:Wow, I wasn't aware of that. I just bought some "Splash/Blue Marans" eggs from the same gal I bought the FBCM eggs from. What can I expect to get from those eggs? I'm new to chickens, and although I've done a lot of research on the various breeds (I bought 12 chicks from MPC that are now 2 months old and one is a Cuckoo Marans) I really don't know much about the Marans. Do the various colors just occur when breeding the FBCMs? Or are the different colors supposed to be separate lines?? I appreciate your help and knowledge!! [​IMG]

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I would suggest you go to the breeds section and find the Marans thread.

Very instructive.

5. wsdareme

wsdareme Songster

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Quote:Thanks, I will do that!

6. jmstar74

jmstar74 Chirping

Mar 21, 2013
    I am not sure if this thread is still open but I have 11 FBCM babies about 2 weeks old. I am noticing the tail feathers on several are really coming in well and the ones waiting on tail feathers have larger combs beginning to form. They are a mix of Davis/Jeanne lines. Any thoughts or am I trying to early??? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: