Sexing frizzle cochin and silver laced wyandotte

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by angelcheex, Mar 18, 2013.

1. angelcheex

angelcheex Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2013
    I have a bantam frizzle cochin that I purchased as "straight run" from Ideal. Not sure if it's a he/she! Also received 16 extra silver laced wyandottes as "packing peanuts". I think one may be a female because the comb is not red like all the other SLW.
    They're all 5 weeks old.

Here are some pics. Please help! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It's the right one...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, 16 SLW as packing peanuts... I'm jealous! How old are they? So far that one SLW could be a girl, but it's legs are pretty thick. So far the Cochin looks female as well.

3. angelcheex

Jan 30, 2013
    Yeah - 16 roosters. Unfortunately I don't have the space to keep roosters, otherwise I'd be excited about having them. They're all 5 weeks old. Really hoping at least the one in question is a pullet.

4. my sunwolf

Hm, at 5 weeks they could go either way [​IMG] I'd keep watching them for comb/wattle development.

5. angelcheex

Jan 30, 2013
    Is that for the wyandotte or the cochin? I thought the wyandotte comb had to be red to be a rooster? So confused!

6. my sunwolf

For both! At 5 weeks the combs could still turn red. Pullet combs don't turn red until they're getting close to laying, cockerels combs usually turn red before maturity but it can be from 2 weeks to 10 weeks, it really depends on the individual. Basically, I would say pullet for the Cochin and not guessing for the Wyandotte, but those are still not 100% sure guesses.

7. Frizzlechics

Frizzlechics Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2013
    Alpharetta
    I think both pullet but the 1st one has really thick legs

8. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    Your frizzle looks like a roo the way its feathering out.

9. Kristenypoo

Kristenypoo New Egg

Oct 14, 2013
    [​IMG][/IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by