sexing frizzles?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by verity, Nov 29, 2008.

1. verity

verity Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Clemmons
    At what age should one be able to tell the sex of a frizzle bantam?
    Any 'clues' that will help?
    Thank you!

2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    It depends on what breed the frizzle is...if its a cochin, you can usually tell at a few weeks of age, give or take a little...if it's another breed, it could take much longer.

Do you have pics?

3. verity

Sep 8, 2008
    Clemmons
    No pictures as I am hopeless with trying to figure out how to 'upload' the pics to Photobucket -- will have to get help from my son --

I have a small flock of pullets -- 6 in all -- standard size -- went to the chicken show in Winston-Salem, NC this morning to get a bantam rooster -- got a beautiful dutch roo -- and then I was leaving and saw the cutest chicken I have ever seen --

it is a silver grey frizzle bantam and I LOVE it -- it really doesn't matter what gender it is as I will be keeping it --

My husband said that it looks exactly like I do first thing in the morning -- grey hair sticking up all over the place --

It is fully feathered and the girl said it is about 2 1/2 months old -- there were two and I chose the one with the smaller comb --- but only because I liked the silver color -- it has feathered feet --

I have it in a smaller cage in the 'Chicken Mansion' and will have to suprevise its integration with the rest of the flock --- the Blue-Lace Wynadottes 'didn't take any nonsense' from the little rooster so I want to be sure they'll be kind to this bit of silver-grey fluff --

Do you have cochins? It looks that way from your little avatar but I'm not 'up' on all the chicken types ---

This frizzle is very sweet and I can handle him/her with no problem --

Thank you for responding to my question!

SueR

4. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, goody. I want to know the answer to this one as well.

5. 'EGGS'CELLENT POULTRY! :)

'EGGS'CELLENT POULTRY! :) New Egg

Aug 1, 2011
    frizzles feathers grow backwards, but not until about 14 - 18 weeks if it's a Cochin so they just look like normal feathered birds when they are younger. If it's a bantam you can tell much earlier!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  6. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    This thread is almost 3 years old, so she probably knows by now!

TexanChick likes this.
  7. verity

Sep 8, 2008
    Clemmons
    Well, I do appreciate the response and now I can add some info that may be helpful --

That precious, darling, sweet puff-ball that I vowed to have 'forever' turned into the most evil creature we've ever had -- ever!

A rooster, of course, and 'bad to the bone' -- he was about the size of a sparrow under the lovely 'frizz' -- the hens ganged up to try to 'beat some sense' into him and he fought back with every fiber of his tiny being -- blood was shed and wounds were treated --- there was an expensive vet-trip --

My husband, who fancies himself as some kind of 'animal whisperer' was attacked again and again -- we soon were very much afraid of 'The Frizz' --
    embarrassed, but still afraid ---

I found a home for him with a guy who wanted him for breeding (The Frizz was a stunningly beautiful bird) --- the first day of free-ranging at his new home, he chased off two huge hawks who 'never looked back' and then decided it was his job to guard the property and the last we heard 'Frizz' was stalking about looking for trouble --

maybe that's the way to determine sex of a Frizzle -- choose one that is the cutest, sweetest, etc, and then 'stand back' to see what happens -- but don't get too attached!

(And this is only one of two critters that we ever re-homed -- the other one was a dedicated 'broody-hen' and she went to a spot where she could raise babies to her heart's content -- every cat, dog, horse, bird, fish, turtle, etc. etc. etc. that we have added to our family has stayed until it died at a great age -- The Frizz was the exception --)

Good luck to all who have Frizzles!

8. blabervanna

blabervanna Just Hatched

Apr 11, 2015
    Spokane,Wa
    I am also wondering the same thing. I was told to go off their heads[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Can you really tell by their heads?

9. Nichaddock

Nichaddock New Egg

May 1, 2015
    What type of frizzles do you have? Cochin? silkie? The one on the bottom pic looks like silkie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by