Sexing Geese, does this really work?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by jjdward, May 15, 2009.

1. jjdward

jjdward How bout them DAWGS!

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    I replied to an add in the Market Bulliten(Georgia AG ad paper) for a lady who had geese for sell, $10 each. When I asked her what kind she said "cotton patch" I have heard of these and from what little I know, they are rare. I then asked if she knew how to sex them and she told me the strangest thing. She said" Yes its really easy, If you turn them on their back and their legs go straight out, they are males, if they draw them up to their belly, they are females. I have raised geese for many years and it works!!" Is there anything to this? I'm not calling this woman a liar but it sounds very "funny" to me if you know what I mean. Any help?

2. ~SunSetsWest~

~SunSetsWest~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Central, Fl.
    Someone told me the very same thing today, I have tried it with chicks with some success but I have not kept track of how many times it worked and I forgot to try it on the baby geese today..BUT! I will tomorrow.. [​IMG]

3. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    I have heard it before for chicks, but not for geese. Would love to know if it works. Also I wonder how long it works, if it does. For instance, is it only good while they are quite young, or does it work on adults??? Now I just have to give it a try!

4. jjdward

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    It would be great if it did work.

5. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    I checked a few tonight. It was getting dark and I was out there by myself, as soon as I put them down they would scatter into the group, so without being set up to separate them, I just tried a few. Two girls and one ???? The little one, who is half the size of the others, pulled one leg up to his/her belly and stuck the other straight out!! WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?!?!?!?! [​IMG]

6. jjdward

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:You should know that Cotton Patch geese Are sex-linked Or if you like scientific words they show sexual dimorphism. The Ganders are white and the geese are dove-gray. If they are true cotton patch there would be no need for this "leg test" as the goslings are yellow (male) or dark (females) The female goslings have a pink and gray bi-colored Bill while Pilgrims female goslings is usually solid gray (Pilgrims are the more common dimorphic breed). If you have your heart set on true cotton patch breed proceed with caution! on the other hand $10 is a reasonable price for just about any gosling.

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    This is one of those old tales that will not die. What would be the biological reason for this? SERIOUSLY??? It's like trying to sex geese by flipping a coin.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  9. jjdward

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Quote:You should know that Cotton Patch geese Are sex-linked Or if you like scientific words they show sexual dimorphism. The Ganders are white and the geese are dove-gray. If they are true cotton patch there would be no need for this "leg test" as the goslings are yellow (male) or dark (females) The female goslings have a pink and gray bi-colored Bill while Pilgrims female goslings is usually solid gray (Pilgrims are the more common dimorphic breed). If you have your heart set on true cotton patch breed proceed with caution! on the other hand $10 is a reasonable price for just about any gosling.

Thanks that is great info!! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  10. jjdward

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    I did go and see the birds at her place and they all looked to be in great shape, old and young. After she said they were Cottonpatches I had my doubts but didn't question her anymore. [​IMG] She was a really nice old lady so I didn't sound mean or disrespectful. I thought the price was pretty good considering that I wouldn't have to pay for shipping. I'm going to make my mind up in the nest few days and go from there. Thanks for all the help so far. [​IMG] any more thoughts would be great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by