Sexing Geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Ang, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    I have 2 Toulouse geese that are about 6 weeks old. How can I tell if they are boys or girls? Are they like ducks the girls being loud and the boys quiet? I am amazed at how fast they grow! Overnight sometimes it seems. [​IMG]

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    They are not a sex linked breed, so you can only vent sex if you really need to know now. Otherwise, by about next winter, the females will be smaller and may even lay an egg of two in the first year. But, vent sexing is the only way with them.

Some of my loudest geese are females and I find them often to be the leaders as well.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Females have a low pitched honk, and males have a high pitched honk.

If you post a picture of them maybe I could tell.

4. Ang

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    Not the best pictures but here they are. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. SundownWaterfowl

Are they dewlap toulouse? I would guess male and female. What do their voices sound like? Are they honking yet? Males are high pitched and females are low pitched.

6. Ang

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    They are not dewlap. The are still "whispering". I also thought one of each just because their heads look a little different. But what do I know, these are my first gooses. [​IMG]

7. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I look out amongst my 50 or so geese and I do not believe the high pitch/low pitch is reliable. I can think of perfect examples of the contrary, sorry.

8. SundownWaterfowl

It is reliable with all of my geese. I have 4 females and 4 males in my breeding stock, All of the males have high pitched voices and the females low pitched voices.

9. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Maybe sexing by voice is only accurate in certain breeds? To be honest, I haven't noticed a significant differece in sound in my geese. I have a flock of around 30 American Buffs and a handful of adult Pilgrims.

What type of geese do you have?

10. SundownWaterfowl

I breed Toulouse geese (non-dewlap).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by