sexing golden comet chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by moms_coop, Apr 13, 2009.

1. moms_coop

moms_coop Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2008
    Maine
    I bought golden comet chicks at Tractor supply. Can anyone tell me what i have...pullets or roosters???[​IMG]

2. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    I think there a bit to young [​IMG]

3. moms_coop

moms_coop Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2008
    Maine
    I was told you can tell when they hatched by the colors. I didnt know if it was by the color of the chick or when the feathers come in. But thanks anyways. [​IMG]
    Sally

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Comets are sex links. The Girls are red/buff at hatch and the boys are yellow to mostly white.

Matt

Edited to add that the ones in the picture are 2 boys and 4 girls.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  5. hoosiersphynx

hoosiersphynx Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Indiana
    The 2 light colored ones are roos looks like the 4 in the back are pullets.
    Rebecca

6. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    My TSC has a mixture of breeds in their stock tanks. Gold Comets, White Rocks, and Buff Orps.
    Are you sure those are all sex-links?? If they sold pullets only you could have 4 sex links and possibly two White Rocks.
    Otherwise 2 boys and 4 girls.

7. W.CharltonChickens

W.CharltonChickens Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2008
    West Charlton, NY
    Now, I'm confused. I bought the same ones from TS. They were in two separate tanks. I got three of the striped ones and three of the yellow. Each was labeled "Assorted Pullets". Did TS get it wrong? Did I end up with three roos? I don't want three roos. I wanted six hens.

Todd

8. justhatchin

justhatchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Galva, Kansas
    I don't believe TSC or any farm store would order in sex link chicks in a straight run. I've only seen them as pullets. So you might have the white rock pullets I would just wait and see?.. Susan

edited to add- I can tell you for sure though that not all the workers in the farm stores know what they are talking about! So take what they say with a grain of salt.!!

9. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    Golden Comets are color sexed. Pullets are red and white and males are white (males are yellow as a chick).

I have Golden Comets. Looks as if you had 4 females and 2 males.

But, being that you bought them at Tractor Supply the yellow chicks could be anything. The other 4 are definately Golden Comet pullets.

They do sell cornish x. I just bought some from there. When each stock gets low they mix them together and call them mixed chicks.

I hope you did not get Cornish x chicks. Unless you want to process them and eat them.

If you bought them out of a bin that said Golden Comets straight run then you definately have 4 pullets and 2 roos. If you got them out on a bin that said Golden Comet pullets, 2 of them are not pullets.

My guess is you have Golden Comets with 2 roos and 4 pullets. You can call them and see if you can bring 2 back but I really doubt they will take them back.

And I have never seen straight run sexlinks in a farm store that I can remember. There is really no need to have a sex link roo because they will not breed true.

It all depends on how the tank was labeled. The employes hate having those chicks and refuse to help anyone in the Asheboro store. People come by and handle the chicks. They often put them back in the wrong bin. The 2 yellow chicks could be pretty much anything. If the 2 yellow chicks start to rapidly outgrow the other ones, you have cornish x chicks. If not you may have white rocks.

Most of the time the employes will not have a clue. I wish you the best.

Darin

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The lighter ones are roosters, IF they are really sexlinks. That's what a sexlink is, sexable by color at hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by