Sexing Golden Cuckoo Marans chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cutiepieacres, Jan 29, 2009.

1. cutiepieacres

cutiepieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    S. CA
    Here are my chicks they are about 2 days old, I have heard that you can sex these chicks by their color.....

If I were to guess I would guess the two chocolate are girls, the really light one a boy and maybe one of each ont the black and white ones??

here they are:
    [​IMG]

2. cutiepieacres

Jan 20, 2009
    S. CA
    just want to bring this up again to see if anyone might have some guesses....

3. texasbartrambaby

texasbartrambaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Tulia, Texas
    Not sure either - I have some in the bator that are refusing to peep on day 20. Here's a bump for you ...

4. Mesa

Mesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    New Mexico
    Shoot I'm on day 22 and still no pips.... lazy birds.
    I've read the females are darker at hatch.... whatever that means. I see some of yours are black and some are brown. I have no clue.... ask pasofinofarm. I bet she'd tell us.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm putting six in the bator on Sunday or Monday... I hope I get that many to hatch... the eggs are real dark!!

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    my guess would be a roo far left and pullets for the 2 brown. The 2 dark look like they might be throwbacks to maybe a silver cuckoo. Does the black one on the left have a spot?

7. cutiepieacres

Jan 20, 2009
    S. CA
    the black one on the left has no spot on its head but does have a white/light colored chest like the other.

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    the black one also looks like it has some red shading on its head?
    It very well could be a black copper. I looked up the genetics to make my own golden cuckoo line. First cross of bc roo over cuckoo results in cuckoo roos and black pullets. Second cross of this F1 gives you a LOT of different results. Including silver cuckoo, black copper, reg cuckoo, gold cuckoo, etc. It is very possible that the breeders(birds) carried some genes which will throw the other colors. Other than breeding them there is no way to tell visually. The genetics page I looked at called them gold cuckoo and golden cuckoo(I believe) and the genetics are only slightly different. One breeds true and one can throw other colors. I would not use the off colors for a golden cuckoo project but they will probably be nice color layers.
    My opinion is just that, not a guarantee. I have limited knowledge of this color but am learning. I am also getting some of these and crossing my feather legged cuckoos to them to introduce the feather legged gene. It is such a fun color [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  9. cutiepieacres

Jan 20, 2009
    S. CA
    it doesnt have any red on it at all just black and white. I guess ill just have to watch and see. I know the breeder says hers often hatch out in different colors but all grow up in different shades of Golden.

Thank you for your input. I was hoping for at least one Golden roo so at least it looks like the light guy is one of those!!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  10. cutiepieacres

Jan 20, 2009
    S. CA
    Just incase anyone is interested now that they are older the males have lightened up alot as well as growing bigger combs.

The very light one on the end as well as one of the brown ones(not quite sure which) are roosters the rest are girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by