Sexing Golden Cuckoo Marans

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by the simple life, Feb 26, 2009.

1. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you sex golden cuckoo marans?
    I am just wondering because I had 3 hatch and 2 look pretty much the same, brown with lots of yellow all over and yellow on top of the head.
    The other one is much much smaller than the other 2, even the face and beak are tiny and this one has less yellow and only a small spot of yellow on the top of the head.
    So since there seems to be a major difference in appearance here I am wondering if its due to the sex of the chicks.
    Does anyone have any idea if I am on the right track and if so which one do you think is which.

2. erin0415

erin0415 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    North Texas
    I think so. I think since they carry the cuckoo sex linked genes the males will be lighter. I don't know this from experience, but I have a dozen golden cuckoo marans in my incubator right now, so I have been interested in whether this is true or not.

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
  4. the simple life

Perfect, thank you. Its exactly what I suspected. They are the cutest little things.

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    yw [​IMG] can't wait to get mine [​IMG]

6. the simple life

They have the most unusual coloring for chicks. They remind me of little calico kitties.
    My husband even took notice of them when he peeked in the brooder. He said he had never seen such colorful chicks.
    Its amazing how much smaller the girls are than the boys, mine is so much smaller with a tiny little face and beak.
    She looks so sweet I just love her.

7. erin0415

erin0415 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    North Texas
    I can't wait. Mine from Melissa are due to hatch on Tuesday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by