1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sexing golden manchurian coturnix

Discussion in 'Quail' started by dogrepair, Aug 14, 2008.

1. dogrepair

dogrepair Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2008
    Santa Cruz Mtns, CA
    I have a dozen coturnix quail which are about 4.5weeks old. Seven are normal colored, and its easy to tell the males from the females. I also have four "golden manchurian" and one "tibetan" - I have no idea how to sex these guys.. all the manchurians look more or less the same.

Thanks for any help - I'm thrilled to have found this forum!

Becca

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Hi There!!!

First off::: [​IMG]

secondly, I can't help ya much on the sexing front. However it will be good for me to learn from this post the answers you get so I can't wait!!! I have Pharoah, and Jumbos (i think they're all normals, however the jumbos may have some goldens in them if I read some of Sams *the breeder I got them from* post correctly). So this will be a learning experience for me, esp since i plan to get other colors soon.

[​IMG]

edited because, I needed to say that they are Eggs right now...soon to hatch though. [​IMG] over 70 pharoahs, and 25 jumbos. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  3. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    With the Goldens I sex them the same as my Jumbo Browns.....females will have black speckled breasts...males will have golden/salmon colored breasts and brown faces.
    Tibettans...I'm waiting for mine to crow or lay an egg.
    Good Luck!
    [​IMG]

4. dogrepair

dogrepair Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2008
    Santa Cruz Mtns, CA
    Thanks guys,

I will try to post a good picture of them side-by-side when they show that coloring - or maybe I have all females (hah - I wish)!

Becca

5. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:cool can't wait to see! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by