Sexing Guineas

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Cole D, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Cole D

Cole D Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2012
    I have four guineas that were bought as chicks and I would like to know if I have any hens so I can know if I will get eggs in the future.

2. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    They way I sex guineas is by listening to them the females make 2 sounds and the male one sound

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    At what age do the females usually start to buckwheat?

4. Cole D

Jun 21, 2012
    So their call is really the only way to tell their sex?

5. schrunk11

schrunk11 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2012
    I've read that if you hold the keets in straight in front of you, the males will look away, the females will look you straight in the eyes. Don't know how accurate that is, but that's what I read.

6. Cole D

Jun 21, 2012
    That sounds pretty out there..... Where did you read it?

7. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA

8. PeepsCA

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    No, but it is the most reliable.. for sexing Hens, unless you see a Hen lay an egg, lol. When Guineas mature, the males typically have larger cupped wattles that kind of stick out from the face and cup facing forward, and the females usually have smaller flat wattles that lay close to their face, BUT... this isn't always 100% accurate, both sexes can have incorrect shaped/sized wattles or even one of each (usually due to bad genetics).

One other way to tell is by their posture... the males stand more upright and alert, look around a lot more and do a lot of chasing/posturing/charging at the other birds with the backs of their wings lifted (acting aggressive). The Hens carry themselves much lower to the ground and are hardly ever on their back end area the sticks up between their wings.

9. PeepsCA

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    LOL... That's a new one, never heardthat before.

I just tested this with some 3-day olds... I used a Buff Dundotte that I know is a Hen by her color, and a really light colored Buff male... The Hen looked away and stared, the male just stared at me and peeped, never looked away [​IMG]

10. Cole D

Jun 21, 2012
    Thanks Peeps I guess that I will separate them one at a time like you said you do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by