sexing half-grown birds--what should I look for?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RedheadErin, Mar 11, 2012.

1. RedheadErin

RedheadErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    So I have this bird critter in quarentine. It looks like a RIR. I was topld it was a hen. In the past month, it has developed a big red comb and wattles, They are bigger than the ones on my RIR banty hen, but no bigger than some of my other girls. She also crows like a rooster and does not lay eggs.

I have a home lined up for this thing if it turns out to be a boy, but I would liek to tell the prospective owner soon if she is getting a new bird from me. What should I be looking for at this stage (adolescent) to determine whenter it is a hen or a roo?

2. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    If it crows, there's a 99% chance it's a rooster. Pictures would make certain.

Look for pointy hackle and saddle feathers near the base of the neck and base of the tail/along the back. These are often shiny and noticeably different from hen feathers. They come in after 12 weeks, so if the bird is younger than that he may not have them yet.

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I agree with BlazeJester. :thumbsup

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If it crows, it's a rooster. Yeah, some folks will tell of their hens crowing, but that's very, very rare. And it's an older, dominant hen, not an adolescent.
    Larger size, upright stance, thicker legs, darker wings, shiney hackle or saddle feathers are all signs or a rooster. But crowing is the gold standard. Post a pic if you'd like.

5. MissCluckCluck

MissCluckCluck Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2012
    SW Ontario, Canada
    X2

6. RedheadErin

RedheadErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    That is what I was afraid of. Pity. My friend is going to get a very pretty rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by