sexing half-grown birds--what should I look for?

RedheadErin

Songster
8 Years
Nov 30, 2011
So I have this bird critter in quarentine. It looks like a RIR. I was topld it was a hen. In the past month, it has developed a big red comb and wattles, They are bigger than the ones on my RIR banty hen, but no bigger than some of my other girls. She also crows like a rooster and does not lay eggs.

I have a home lined up for this thing if it turns out to be a boy, but I would liek to tell the prospective owner soon if she is getting a new bird from me. What should I be looking for at this stage (adolescent) to determine whenter it is a hen or a roo?

If it crows, there's a 99% chance it's a rooster. Pictures would make certain.

Look for pointy hackle and saddle feathers near the base of the neck and base of the tail/along the back. These are often shiny and noticeably different from hen feathers. They come in after 12 weeks, so if the bird is younger than that he may not have them yet.

If it crows, it's a rooster. Yeah, some folks will tell of their hens crowing, but that's very, very rare. And it's an older, dominant hen, not an adolescent.
Larger size, upright stance, thicker legs, darker wings, shiney hackle or saddle feathers are all signs or a rooster. But crowing is the gold standard. Post a pic if you'd like.

If it crows, there's a 99% chance it's a rooster. Pictures would make certain.

Look for pointy hackle and saddle feathers near the base of the neck and base of the tail/along the back. These are often shiny and noticeably different from hen feathers. They come in after 12 weeks, so if the bird is younger than that he may not have them yet.

X2

Back
Top Bottom