Sexing help: Does this sound like a girl to you?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Wifezilla, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Listen for the grunty/honky/quacky noises. JJ is making those. Bungie is a week younger and still peeping.

Does it sound like JJ is a girl and it isn't just my wishful thinking???

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Okay, I don't know WHY I went to watch it, I know nothing about ducks. But...CUTE noises! Pretty!

3. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    LOL

JJ always appreciates another fan.

4. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Anyone else? Help?

5. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    I couldn't watch, high-speed is down, have to use dial-up, yuck.

but how old now??,

Jumper and Junna had started the sort of grunty,honky noises at about 3ish weeks, and Jumper was actually adult voice, QUACKING at a month old, Junna about a week later(now Junna, NEVER shuts up hahah), Sage hadn't started quacking, until about 10 and a half weeks, so you know all ducks differ.

but it the baby isn't still JUST peeping, I'd imagine you have a little girl duckie [​IMG]

6. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    JJ is now 5 weeks. She started making these noises about a week ago. She seems like she is trying to imitate the big girls, but she isn't as loud as they are even though she kind of sounds like them.

Maybe my big ducks are just loud mouths [​IMG]

7. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    then I'd imagine you've got yourself a little baby girl to remember her momma by [​IMG]

just wait, and if in a week oor so, the grunting turns into full blown QUACKS, then....it's a BOY! hahaha, but in my experiance, I'm deffenatly leaning towards girl [​IMG]

8. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Well, that's the thing. If it is a girl, it can't be Janet's baby because it's legs have a yellowish-orange tint. If she was a purebred khaki, her legs would be dark slate.

This makes JJ CHRISSY'S baby [​IMG]

It's hard to be disappointed she isn't Janet's baby since she is such a good duck [​IMG]

9. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    if that's JJ making that sound, you got a girl... boy ducks don't make that sound at all. I have two 7 week old runners, one is making sounds like yours, the other is still peeping away. Considering yours about the same age as mine, i think bundgie is a boy and JJ is a girl. I'm 95% sure

10. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    That's what I was thinking, but Bungie is one week younger than JJ. I was hoping I would hear some quacking out of Bungie by next week.

I don't really want a rouen drake. Someone stated on another thread that egg laying traits are inherited from the father's side. I want to keep those good egg laying genes in all my birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by