1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing help!!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Comcam, May 26, 2016.

1. Comcam

Comcam New Egg

May 26, 2016
    Sorry to post this, I have searched the forums pics and just can not see the difference in my quail and others as far as hen and roo. I got 20 of them and they all pretty much look identical. The seller said they were female and over 7 weeks old. So after the first 2 weeks here not a single egg. Plenty of water, high protein game feed, 14 hours of light (natural and artificial) nothing...can someone PLEASE help me! I am posting a pic of the little guys if you could take a look and maybe see if I might actually have all ROOS??? Thank you!![​IMG]

2. mkeith93

mkeith93 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2016
    I have a trio and it took forever for the females to start laying I got them at 7 weeks and three weeks later they are finally starting to lay. (have you looked up how to vent sex quail?)

3. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Those are bobwhite quail. They mature significantly slower than coturnix. I have no personal experience, but I just found a thread on here saying they won't start laying till they are 21-25 weeks old.

4. weirdones

weirdones Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2011
    Greenwood Delaware
    Males have a white stripe on each side of the head. These are bobwhites and will not lay eggs until 4-5 months most don't raise for meat or eggs for this reason.
    Coturnix you can sex the Pharos jumbos or Browns at 3-4 weeks and most coturnix Lay eggs around 6 weeks.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  5. Comcam

Comcam New Egg

May 26, 2016
    Thank you all so much!! I bought 20 coturnix females from him (lol) I guess I have some meat birds!! Now to find a new source for the right ones! Hosed again by Craig's list!! My first attempt at birds was a huge FAIL!! LOL

6. weirdones

weirdones Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2011
    Greenwood Delaware
    Where are you located? There are a few Facebook group such as backyard quail
    And coturnix breeders of America. You maybe able to find someone else near you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by