Sexing Japanese Quail

Isabella253

Hatching
5 Years
May 5, 2014
A few weeks ago, I purchased a pair of Japanese Quail from a local breeder.
I've had them for around 5 weeks now (And they were 9 weeks old when I purchased them).
I've been feeding them chick starter mixed with budgie feed - that's what the stockfeed store suggested - as game bird feed isn't available in my area. Have not been giving them shell grit yet.
Anyway, back to the point - the female (if she is indeed female) has not started laying yet. And the male crows regularly (even at 11pm!), despite having no other male quail anywhere nearby.
So I thought I'd post the question and just see if they are indeed a male/female pair - and not two males!
Here are pictures of both of them: (both looking very shocked at this indignity)

They have been mating regularly (many many times per day) for about 3 weeks now, and so the foam test isn't particularly helpful - they both express foam, but if they're mating regularly, that could possibly why.

Dilute birds can be very hard to sex depending on how they've been bred. If no one has damaged their color pattern the top should be a female and bottom a male. Most female coturnix will not have brown face masks.

You are correct that the foam present in the hens vent is from being covered.

Since you only have two birds though it should be quite easy. The one on top is the male.

Back
Top Bottom