Sexing Juvenile Guineas

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by beetandsteet, Nov 2, 2015.

1. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    I recently bought 3 guineas (1 pied and 2 pearl guineas) from the county fair. They are probably 4-5 weeks old, and almost fully feathered. I was wondering, at what age would I be able to tell the 2 sexes apart? The pied guinea seems smaller than the other 2--could that be any indication of gender? Thanks :)

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

The females usually begin to call around 8-12 weeks of age. At maybe 16 weeks the males will begin to grow curved wattles and a larger helmet, and soon after should take up male stance and behavior. Males and females are nearly the same size; the Pied color in general tends to be smaller than other colors. It's also possible your Pearls are jumbos.

1 person likes this.
  3. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    I've often had female guineas start to buckwheat at 5 to 6 weeks. Both of the females that I kept this summer were making the two syllable sound before 6 weeks old. It's often a soft sound at first and you may have to spend a bit of time with them to catch them doing it. An easy way to actually see them making the sound is to separate them. A male cannot make the sound. To me it sounds like the female is saying goback goback goback.
    The fact that one of the guineas is smaller isn't an indicator of sex. Colored guineas are often smaller than the pearl greys. And it seems to me that sometimes the males are smaller than the females at first. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by