Sexing juveniles

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by hvnsnt3388, Feb 9, 2011.

1. hvnsnt3388

hvnsnt3388 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    I have 2 peafowl that are about 10 months old. They look very very similar. Is there a way to generally tell a male from a female? I think I have 2 males. Their necks are almost completely blue and someone told me that if the green turns more blue then they are males. They also seem to have longer tail feathers than the females I have seen. I am new to peacocks but have alot of experience with other fowl. Any help would be appreciated!!!!!

2. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Sure sounds like males. By this age, females are identical to any adult peahen of the same color(compare to blue peahens if they are blues, etc). Blue peahens have solid mud brown body with only green on their necks. Boys this age have variable blue/green on necks plus tons of the little bars/stripes all over their back and especially the wings.

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Welcome to the pea fowl world [​IMG]

Well mine are 5 months old in this photo they are all females except the second from the right.

If you have indian blues the males will have barring on most of their feathers where as the female will be solid
    [​IMG]

here's 2 females
    [​IMG]

My male this shows the barring a bit better
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. hvnsnt3388

Feb 9, 2011
    Thanks!
    The pictures all look like them both! I gues I just don't have an eye for it. Ill get photos and post them tomorrow. Maybe that will help!

5. zazouse

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    LOL
    i understand, seeing them in person makes a big difference, so get some photos when ya can and someone here will tell ya exactly what ya got.

6. hvnsnt3388

Feb 9, 2011
    I cant get the photos from my phone to upload....so, I'll try this.
    the first photo you have on the reply with the 5 peas in it, the one that is somewhat in the middle that is facing left with his head extended, thats your male? Not the one thats next to the white? If that second one from the left (my left looking at the screen) is the comparison to the hens, then I can see the difference on a big screen and that is what my 2 guys look like.

I also went back and read the sticky on peafowl. What I interpret from the gender paragraph is indicating mine are both male. They have alot of barring on all of their feathers, green AND blue necks, but I'm a little confused about the links to the primary feathers. Mine are a beautiful color orange, I would say burnt orange. However, they have a white stripe about mid way of the feather, not solid like the picture shows. What does that mean?

So now, what happens with 2 males? Are they aggressive to each other even if there is no hen present? Should I be trying to trade for a hen or should they be ok as long as I dont introduce a hen. one of 3 choices I guess. 1. keep things as they are if they arent going to try to kill each other, 2. trade a male for a female, or 3. find to females and put them in separate pens are pairs????????

7. zazouse

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Yea it he is the second from the right,

don't know how i ended up typing second from the right in my other post, dyslexia kickin in i guess [​IMG]

8. hvnsnt3388

Feb 9, 2011
    Im pretty certain they are both males!!!

What happens when I don't have females and its just those 2 males together? Will they start fussing amongst themselves without females? Should I introduce at least 2 hens, cause I'm sure introducing just 1 hens will cause chaos, and separate them?

9. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    I've got 2 males and a female at the moment, and they don't fuss at each other or the hen. Well, Blu picks his sister's head poof, but he's made swipes at her head since they were hatched. He's a little special. I'm not sure, but I don't think peacocks are big fighters like roosters, especially if they don't have their full colors yet (and they don't get those til closer to 2 years, so you're safe for a while).

10. hvnsnt3388

Feb 9, 2011
    Thanks for replying!!! I have solved my dilema, hopefully! I found someone that have 1 male and 3 females for a very decent price. So, im gonna set up 1 male and 1 female in their own coops!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by