Sexing Khaki Campbells at 3 months

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Darklingstorm, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    I have two Khakis that are 12 weeks old and not 100% what sex I have. I thought I had 2 girls but I saw an add online were a woman has too many drakes and wants to sell some. I figured if I have 2 girls that I would get a boy, but her "drakes" look a lot like my 2 "girls". Neither one has the curled up tail feather yet.
    So any guess as to what they are?
    When do they get the curled feather (if a drake)?

[​IMG]
    Tuck & Ming Ming

[​IMG]
    This is Ming Ming and it has a brown bill

[​IMG]
    This is Tuck and it has a green bill

[​IMG]

2. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    When you pick them up, do they have a loud quack or is it more quiet and raspy?The loud ones are females.
    From my experience with this breed, the males have the orange feet and the females have brown feet, but that's not always correct. And if they are males, they will either have their curly feather by now or at least by 4 months old.

Plus the drake's heads usually are starting to turn dark by now.

I would say you have two females, but you can be sure if you listen to their quacks.

3. Darklingstorm

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    One has a loud quack and one raspy, but I don't know which. Too hard to catch in the heat at this moment, but I will try later this evening when it's cooler.

4. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    The one with the green bill and the BLACK bean is a boy. The one with the brown bill and bean is a girl. A black bean suggest a boy. I have 2 drake campbells and 3 ducks. Mine are 3 months old. They have no drake feathers but their voice and behavior is obvious.

5. Darklingstorm

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    OK so I finally chased down Tuck (green bill). He has dark tail feathers coming in with a green sheen to them and I also noticed little feathers on his head that are coming in too that have that same green sheen to them, he also didn't really quack at me but sounded more like a duck with a sore throat. So I'm now pretty sure that Tuck is a dude.

Ming Ming doesn't have any dark feathers coming in and has a very loud Quack.
    I'm so happy, I was going to ask hubby if we could get a drake for the girls as a birthday present for me. Glad we don't have to do that. Hubby wasn't too thrilled with getting more animals.

BTW in case you are curious the names Tuck & Ming Ming come from the Wonder Pets cartoon that my 2 yr old loves. He named them.

6. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    You are a lucky duck! [​IMG]

You have yourself a male and a female! [​IMG]
    You can tell because the male is getting his greenish colored head and feathers.

7. fowlmood

fowlmood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    northern Michigan
    Tell your husband he can still get you a duck for your birthday. Your drake will be even happier with two girls! [​IMG]

8. Darklingstorm

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    *UPDATE*

TUCK is most diffidently a Drake [​IMG]
    This picture doesn't due him justice, his dark green-tinted head and tail are just beautiful in the sun. However unlike his mate, he is camera shy.

[​IMG]

Oh and Ming Ming is just as pretty (of course I'm bias..LOL)
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by