1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing Khaki Campbell's

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chicken Bff, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Chicken Bff

Chicken Bff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Missiouri
    I was thinking of getting some khaki campbell's from tractor supply but i found out that there not sexed. Any advice on sexing them except vent sexing. Any response is appreciated.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Sorry, but there's no way to sex them besides vent sexing when they're one to three days old like you'll get from TSC.

3. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    With mine it seemed like the boys were prettier ducklings especially their head shape and they had darker legs. The girls had a more ackward, gangly look -especially the older they got. These traits could just be coincidences but if you are guessing anyway, they won't hurt. Good luck!

In the picture, my drake is the one with the facial stripes. He is half Khaki, half Appleyard.[​IMG]

In this picture, the girl is on the left, my other drake is on the right.
    [​IMG]

4. Chicken Bff

May 20, 2016
    Missiouri
    I have one final question. How dirty are ducks and how can i stop or prevent it?

5. cheezenkwackers

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    Depends what you mean by dirty. They love water so they have wet poo and make lots of mud. The smaller the space they are kept in, the faster and yuckier it will become. If you plan for the water -put the waterer or pool over gravel or a container to catch the splashes, use pine shavings as bedding to absorb the moisture, etc., it isn't horrible. They are a lot of fun! I think they are worth it.

6. Chicken Bff

May 20, 2016
    Missiouri
    Thanks and can you keep them with chickens around the same age.

7. cheezenkwackers

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    I am not a chicken person (silly to say on Back Yard Chickens)! I have hatched a few Bantams in my classroom and raised them for a month or so but that is my only chicken experience. I know that there are people who do raise them together and say they become best friends. I think it would be difficult but not impossible. The chicks I raised were pretty dry and didn't need their shavings changed until several days had passed. They also scattered their food all over. My ducklings soaked their shavings daily and eat out of the dish. Ducklings grow faster than chickens but chickens have sharp beaks and peck. When they were a little bigger, my chicks liked to sit up on a perch, ducklings obviously do not.

Hopefully someone with more mixed flock experience will weigh in for you.

8. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

You can keep them with chickens but I wouldn't brood them together as babies. Ducklings make a horrible mess with their water (although you can use a homemade waterer to help cut down on this) and generally soak their shavings. This would chill chicks and might cause them to die. So I'd brood separately.

9. Chicken Bff

May 20, 2016
    Missiouri
    What type of homemade waterer? any images?

10. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Sure, check this article and this article, they each show one of the different designs.

The second one talks about brooding chicks and ducklings together. Personally I don't do it but if you want to give it a try that article has some good ideas on how to make it work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by