1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sexing khaki campbells

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lovemabirds, Feb 15, 2015.

1. lovemabirds

lovemabirds Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2014
    some of my ducklings have got a big blue band on the wings, not all but some of them, is this an indication of male or female??????

2. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    where did you get them from

3. feasel

feasel Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2015
    I have been lurking around all the forums dedicated to the topic of sexing ducks and decided to finally post here -

Getting our ducks was a bit hectic; we went to a farm and said "we'd like to buy some ducks please". The woman to whom we spoke said "righto" and leapt into a pen full of ducks that all went beserk instantly. She asked us if we wanted all females, we said yes please, she asked "layers or a tiny bit younger?" we said a tiny bit younger please, and then all of a sudden we had this massive shaking box full of anxious ducks and we forgot to ask anything else because all we could think about was getting them safely home and not dropping the box on the way to the car...

So I *think* we have some young-ish ducks just before point of lay and I *think* they are all girls

However my mum saw them all in the pond the other day and said one of them was humping another one. I gather sometimes this is a dominance thing, but then there is also the vocal stuff.. I have been listening pretty hard to their sounds; they chunter away to each other all the time and sound a bit like chicks (sort of high pitched and cheepy) and also a bit raspy like the recordings I have heard of drakes... but then they all have a pretty loud clear quack on them, too. Do lady ducks chunter to each other in a way that sounds a bit raspy or cheepy when they are young and when they are not quacking or is any indication of raspiness an instant indication that we have boys? A sound recording of them can be found here, it includes the cheeping, chuntering noises and the loud quacks together.

[​IMG]

Honey, doing her special sideways face

[​IMG]

Pretzel - slightly darker feet

[​IMG]

Bonbon's tail - is that curly or just jaunty to your experienced eyes?

[​IMG]

Pretzel (L) and Honey (R) playing in the mudhole they have made and with which they are truly thrilled

They are called Honey, Bonbon and Pretzel and I don't know what I will do if more or one of them are drakes!!! Honey is the honey-coloured one; Pretzel has the slightly darker feet; and Bonbon is the other one - Bonbon has lovely defined colours on her wing feathers.

4. wildlifesteph

wildlifesteph Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2014
    They all look like hens to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by