Sexing Light Brahmas

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BLaBauve, Oct 26, 2009.

1. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I need help! These 2 light brahmas are around 7 weeks old. I was told one of these is a cockerel and one is a pullet. Does anyone have any guesses which is which? I can barely tell them apart! Their combs are the same pale color.

Thanks,
    Beth

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Both boys, sorry [​IMG]

3. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    the one on the left is a girl and the one on the right is a boy in the bottom pic or they are both girls but definatley not both boys

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  4. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I sure hope one of them is a pullet

5. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

I also say the one on the left = pullet, and right = cockerell in the last pic. The cockerell seems to have pointed hackels.

6. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I'm not sure what they are yet, but they do look to be the same gender. It's too early to look for pointed hackle feathers - I think mostly you look at combs at this age. Watch their wattles - if the wattles start to grow in the next couple of weeks (see pics below), than they are probably males. I think I knew at around 7-8 weeks that my LB was a roo, but was in denial until he was 11 weeks old and started to crow [​IMG] Hopefully, yours are girls.

Here's my light brahma roo at 7 weeks:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is him at 9 weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=221896&p=2

7. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Your boy is beautiful! These 2 don't have any wattles yet. But come to think of it I do have another 4 week old Brahma in the garage that does have wattles coming in. Interesting. . . Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by