1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing Light Sussex Chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sparky74, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Sparky74

Sparky74 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2016
    Cowra, NSW, Australia
    My Light Sussex chicks hatched on New Years Day so they're 2 weeks old today. Unbelievably I hatched 12/12 under a broody hen (Wyandotte X RIR) in Australian Summer heat.

A couple of them have developed tail feathers already and I wonder if this is any indication of gender or is it too early to tell?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Some folks swear by tail feather development, or slow feathering overall as a sign of a cockerel. I've never found it that reliable myself. I go by comb development, leg thickness and overall stance. It's too young from what I can see to start picking out cockerel. Being able to see them in person, you'll be able to tell who is sprouting combs first.

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    x2 with Donrae

LofMc

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x 3 donrae
    I would imagine with your heat, you have no need for heat lamps. Congratulations of a great hatch 12/12 super [​IMG]

5. Sparky74

Sparky74 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2016
    Cowra, NSW, Australia

Well, it is mid summer here and apparently it's the hottest January on record.
    But the eggs were hatched under a broody hen. It's a much easier way to brood chicks than having them in a box in the laundry with heat lamps etc.

Now, I've got another broody hen and need to decide if I want to set a clutch under her in this heat or to try to break her. If I set her, I'll do so at the residential aged care facility where I work so the residents can enjoy them.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Momma hens Rock! So, so much nicer to let them raise the chicks [​IMG]

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by