Sexing mallard ducklings using wing plumage

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by keeperofthehearth, Jun 3, 2008.

1. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  2. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    they look all the same to me [​IMG]

3. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

The white on the females goes past the blue on wing as it nears the body. Good Luck!

4. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    In english please?

5. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    We do that all the time when banding young mallards. It's really easy to look at the tertial coverts. The only difficulty is if they are not pure mallards, there may be some white on the tertial coverts of drakes if they have snowy mallard or white mallard in them.

Clint

6. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Lets see, in English...

Immature birds have angular swaths of the colors on the colored wing feathers, (that is the colors do not line up nice and the color is angled on the individual feathers) - the feathers also may be frayed, skinny, or old looking if just before adult molt either into breeding or non-breeding plumage.

Immature mallard females have white extending towards the body, but the white that will extend away fro the body beyond the color area may or may not be present, males do not have the extra white.

Adult female mallards have white that extends beyond the color area on the wing, both towards and away from the body, Adult males in non breeding plumage do not, the white stops at the color.

Adult males in breeding plumage do not need wing test for sexuality as they have green heads...

close enough?

Now I always guessed based on beaks and stance and behavior, not always right...

7. iluvsedward

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    hmm.. is there one on ducklings? Not immature ducks but ducklings??

8. iluvsedward

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    like, 4weekolds?

9. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Not for feathering. ;)

10. Chriswardens52

Chriswardens52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    DuckVille Montana
    I also found out that if you notice a green/black tint to the back of the ducklings they tend to be male. I used this technique and i identified there sex 100 percent accurate for me anyways.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by