sexing mallard ducks by feathers

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chriswardens52, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Chriswardens52

Chriswardens52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    DuckVille Montana
    I have 5 mallard ducklings. They are all feathering out and I have a question on what sex they are. One thing I was questioning is their back feathers. I notice that three of the ducklings have dark colored feathers coming in, but I noticed that there is a dark green tint to them. The other two have light colored brown feathers. I was thinking that the ones with the dark green tinted feathers are male and that the light colored brown feathered ones were female.

2. Senna95

Senna95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    If they just got their first feathers it's easier to voice sex them. Pick them up one at a time, and wait for them to either quack or squeek. The quackers are females and the squeekers are males.

3. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    Our ducks are 4 months and the drake just finally got his coloring. We were able to tell by voice around 4-6 weeks. One thing I did notice first was that the drake back feathers started greying around 6weeks too.

[​IMG]
    this is when I first started to notice the difference.

4. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    My drakes had a green tint on the heads starting about 6 weeks. I could also tell by their raspy voices that they were males.

5. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    Thanks so much for posting this thread! I found it very helpful as I am hoping to sex my Mallard ducklings soon, too! (Though I still have a little bit of a wait as they are only 2 weeks old)

6. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    The best way to sex mallards from plumage is to look at the tertial coverts. If they have white edging, it's hen. No edging a drake. That's for wild-type mallrds. Thje drake in the pic isn't true wild-type because he has too much edging on his tertials, so it probably wouldn't work on him.

Clint

7. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    Quote:Yes, he is not a wild Mallard. We got them at TSC.

8. Chriswardens52

Chriswardens52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    DuckVille Montana
    and what are the tertial coverts

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by