1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing meat birds early?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mcdaid36, Mar 31, 2009.

1. mcdaid36

mcdaid36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Putnam County, NY
    I posted something similar to this in the "What gender is this" forum, but thought some of you who have raised meat chickens before might know the answer. I have a batch in the brooder now - all came from same hatchery, hatched the same day, and are now 10 days old. They are Cornish Roasters. 3 have short stubby wings and no tail feathers yet, 8 have long wing and tail feathering. Is there any way to say that the 3 short stubby winged ones are roosters and the rest hens? See photos below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    For what ever reason I can't see the picture but the easiest way to tell is by comb size on the birds. The roosters will have a largeer comb then the hens.
    With meat birds it generally doesn't matter just butcher when they reach the size you want.
    I always butcher a few at around 4-5 weeks as cornish game hens and butcher the rest 8-10 at a time as they get to the size I want, generally 6-7 pounds live weight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by