Sexing mixed breed chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AMSpsg18, Mar 27, 2009.

1. AMSpsg18

AMSpsg18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    Somersworth NH
    Ok so the situation i am currently in involves 5 different breeds of chicken and one roo all the eggs are mixed up have hatched and are now 7 weeks old or so. We know for sure one is a roo but we were wondering how to sex them by personality.

For instance do roos tend to fight more together or just anything, because we have noticed one one roo fighting with the others but since we can't tell if the others are roos or not we are unsure if that is their type of reaction.

Any other personality traits would help at this point I know its difficult with mixed breeds but we are slightly obsessed so anything will help! Thanks

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I can answer the fighting question - some chickens are just mean, whether or not they are roos. 7 weeks is too young to be fighting for control of the flock, so you could just have a mean hen. I have one named Hannibal [​IMG]

3. AMSpsg18

Jan 13, 2009
    Somersworth NH
    Quote:Well we know he is a rooster due to his feathering all of his neck and saddle feathers are the distinct roo feathers and I don't want to give him a bad rap he does fight but only for like a second gets all fluffed up and runs away [​IMG]

4. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    I was told to wave my arm across the open brooder - who ducks and who stands up? The roo should be up and looking for what is swooping, the hens ducking.

I also have mixed chicks, though mine are only a few days old. I can't wait for them to feather out!!!

5. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    I agree... roos will stand erect when something threatening happens, and pullets will squat. And at about six weeks, check their feathers. Pullets will be fully feathered; roos will have under-developed feathers along the back at at the bow of the wings.

Kathy in Texas
    www.CountryChickens.com

6. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    What about little spurs? At what age can you tell if those little nubs are the makings of spurs? Seems like ALL of them have the little nubs, but some of them are beginning to grow a little....or....is it just my imagination?[​IMG]

7. AMSpsg18

Jan 13, 2009
    Somersworth NH
    I'll try that today after work I'm also going to catch all of them and take pictures of their faces and feathers so if any of you want to take a look that would be awesome! [​IMG]

8. Moppet

Moppet New Egg

May 18, 2014
    I love your hens name.....I have two that are someone mean....one is Squawker cause she is noisey and bossy, and the other Queen Bee. My Terrier will be laying in the grass minding his own business and she will sneak up behind him and peck him..........I may use Hanable for a future hen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by