sexing muscovies round 5 months old?

I only have runners, Blue swedish, and a Buff, but don't Muskovy drakes Have the tail feather like other ducks? or no? Mine all got their tail feather by 3 months.

Spish, I just got back in the house and have your photos...am resizing them and will upload them in a couple of minutes for you.

Michelle

Here you go: I see one Drake for sure, possibly a second one but only see that duck's back and feet. I'd say all the rest are Hens.

hen
2832_100_6863.jpg

Drake
2832_100_6871.jpg

hens
2832_spishshens.jpg

this photo, left is a hen and right might be a drake
2832_100_6883.jpg

Michelle

michelle many many thanks for getting the pics up for me, i really do appreciate it
smile.png

oh i do hope the majority are hens, the big grey(?) one i thought was a drake because of his sheer size....he is a monster! but ive never seen him mount anyone? (maybe he's too big? also he's older than the rest....he must be around 2 the woman said...a freebie extra when i bought them and the father of the younger ones!) would he be classed as grey or silver? and are the others all 'pied'? im no good with colours either lol!
my 'original' muscovy is also in the pics, the first (clean!) black/white one. i thought she was a hen but shes now over a year and ive never had eggs from her?

many many thanks once again
smile.png

Last edited:
You're very welcome ! I had to put a bunch of them together in one photo because for some reason the uploader was taking forever and I was anxious to get your photos up for you. I'm just learning the colors myself so I'm afraid I'm not much help there. As for eggs, is it possible your little oinkers are eating them ? Or are your girls free ranging at all and laying them outside the pen?

Michelle

in the last pic, the ducky on the right...'he's' started to get a lot of red on his bill, from his nostrils right down the bill (just the tip is not red!) is this normal??? (maybe a pointer that he is definatly a he? the duck next to him in the photo is also getting the redness on the bill. i think im gonna end up with too many males
sad.png

Which one are you referring to when you say the "gray" one? I have one that looks similar to the one in the second pic and I was told that it is a blue pied. Great lookin birds

Back
Top Bottom