sexing muscovies?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kiwi-chookn, Jul 22, 2010.

1. kiwi-chookn

kiwi-chookn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2009
    Hi guys.
    How can I sex My 12wk old muscovies.
    I noticed on an older male that he has the begining of a lump in the centre/back of his bill.
    is a sex pointer?

2. chicksbestfriend

chicksbestfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Do you have any pictures that you can post? I am by no means an expert at sexing Muscovys, they are supposedly the only breed that cannot be sexed from hatching, but since the last hatching I had, I am runnning at about 83% accurate on my observations or guessing techniques. I have noticed in the Muscovy's, the drakes legs are alot thicker and their feet are larger and span out a little more than the hens. The drakes are also alot heavier/taller looking and the hens are a little more petite/shorter looking. The drakes, their heads are larger than the hens and there is also a distinction in their neck size and the curvature of it, but hard to explain exactly what I notice in the necks, as I am still reasearching those trait. Once the ducks are around 5 or 6 weeks old, their prominent features stand out. The hens also have a really soft and smooth look to their expressions, where the drakes give off a more harsh looking expression. I also track the ducks that I sell....... so from my experience with the Muscovys, I am pretty satisfied with the end results. I havent come to a conculsion yet if the coloring or size of the beaks give off any clues, but I have noticed at maturity, the drakes beaks are longer too. The beaks are the next feature that I am looking forward into studying. Do you have any pictures that you can post?

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Chicksbestfriend gave a great description.

Here is a male and female i have at my place, i think they are around 4 months old in this photo ,

The male is in the front.

Photos would be alot of help if you can take some.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  4. amartinlb

amartinlb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Jersey Shore
    Beautiful Muscovy's. A really nice color. I have 4 two month olds one milk chocolate brown, one dark brown, one drake black, one mixed barred. My 2 little ones from someone else appear to have a lot of white coming in. I like they are kind of surprises!

5. neverbdone

neverbdone Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Lake Isabella, CA
    My Scovys are 7 weeks old and I could really tell the difference in size last week. At 12 weeks they should really be different. The males have a larger head and feet at this age too. The girls have a more delicate petite face. See if you can post a few good pics so we can give you a better idea.

6. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Here are my muscovies and I think they are around 8 or 9 weeks. I am hoping for a male and female.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][/img]

I was given these ducks and have no idea anything about them other than they are muscovies.

7. neverbdone

neverbdone Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Lake Isabella, CA
    I don't think those babies are 9 weeks old. 4-5 weeks maybe? Here are mine at 8 weeks and they are much bigger than yours. Anyway, It is difficult to tell at this point. I think the one with the yellow feet is a girl, and the other is a drake by the size of his feet. They both still have all their baby fluff. They are both just too cute.[​IMG] You should know in a couple weeks.

[​IMG]

8. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I have had these ducklings since July 2nd and she said they were about 3 weeks then. Ok maybe it is closer to 6 or 7 weeks then IF she was correct in the age she told me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by