Sexing Muscovies

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wondermom319, Nov 19, 2013.

1. wondermom319

wondermom319 New Egg

Aug 25, 2013
    We just got 2 muscovy ducks a few wks ago. The tan colored one we were told that she was hatched last december and the black one in april. We have not seen any eggs from (we don't think) Neither were fed laying mash. Not sure I'd that has anything to do with it? We are new to ducks and even newer to muscovies. Help?! Lol

2. wondermom319

wondermom319 New Egg

Aug 25, 2013
    [​IMG]

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Well aren't they cute! they look like ducks to me, so female. They don't need a layer feed, mine don't get any... i just offer free choice oyster shell for calcium.

Um, they are seasonal layers however which could be why they aren't laying, what is your weather like? cold, shorter days triggers a slow down, mine stopped laying in Oct and usually resume come Feb.

With Muscovy it's all about size for sexing, the males are BIG, big feet, big legs, big lol ducks are smaller.. more feminine in the head, finer framed and by the way FLY and well, just to caution you.

Here an old pic of a pair of mine... you can see drake right, duck left lol they weren;t even 1yo.

[​IMG]

Vocals are different too, ducks have trills, coos, hiss/huffs and honks/quacks, whereas the drakes only get hissing/huffing past baby chirps.

Do you have storey's guide to ducks? it's a super helpful book. As well, this forum has loads of info, many here own 'scovies including myself, they are the main duck breed here.

[​IMG]

4. wondermom319

wondermom319 New Egg

Aug 25, 2013
    These ladies? Are tiny too...about half the size of my pekins that are the same age as the black one. Super super quite too. They sound like they are purring. But I can usually only hear them at night when everyone else quite. Yep its cold here. I read that if they come into laying season amd its cold that they won't lay until spring? I figured the older one would still give us something though. hmmm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by