Sexing muscovy ducklings 6 days old

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by brandy21410, Jan 31, 2017.

1. brandy21410

brandy21410 Chillin' With My Peeps

I got another duckling with the advice everyone gave me for sexing that way I could add a frmale to my 2 males and 1 female I already had. I hope I got a female but let me know what y'all think. TIA
    [​IMG]
    'she' is in the back of this pic, she is the yellow one with the blue back and cap.
    [​IMG]
    She is in the front in this pic.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

I wouldn't even try at this age...give it some time and her gender will become apparent. [​IMG] Hope you get a girl!

3. brandy21410

[​IMG] here they are today 13 days old [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I don't know anything about ducks but wanted to see some. They are adorable. I notice one had a dark beak and the others have pink. Would that indicate a difference in sex?

5. FoodFreedomNow

I haven't noticed a correlation between bill color and sex with my Muscovy ducklings...the most reliable indicators are usually differences related to size (drakes are much larger) and sounds (drakes hiss and ducks "trill"), and I haven't been able to sex by those at 2 weeks old. Would be an interesting hypothesis to test, though. [​IMG]

@brandy21410 , the duckling in question is the darker-colored one in the foreground, right? Maybe it's the angle, but s/he looks a little larger than the others...is s/he? Also, are there any behavioral differences - more assertive/protective? They're a very cute little group, BTW.

@Miss Lydia , @Amiga , @Ren2014

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I agree too early to tell. But they sure are adorable.

7. brandy21410

That is what I think everytime I look at them, only one doesnt have that lol

8. brandy21410

The darkest one with the dark bill is very "agressive" i guess is the word. It bites me and hisses at me already lol but the others just peep and the biggest yellow one also hisses but doesnt bite me at all so maybe the 2 that hiss are males?, also the 2 that dont hiss are smaller and shorter than the bigger two, maybe thise are the females?? Lol I hope. Iam going to weigh them today to see how the measure up.

9. FoodFreedomNow

I also would suspect the darker one is a drake, based on what you've described - the hissing, the assertiveness/protectiveness, the hissing. In the last batch of ducklings I hatched, the boys would always nibble my fingers. [​IMG]

The smaller, non-hissing ones sound like they fit the profile for ducks.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  10. brandy21410

cool, I hope so, but the one I just got witht the grey on the head and back is bigger than the one that I think is a female, but smaller than the ones that I think are drakes, perhapse it hatched sooner?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by