Sexing Muscovy ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by GoatHouseProductions, Jun 2, 2011.

1. GoatHouseProductions

GoatHouseProductions Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    I'm going to pick up a Muscovy duckling, but I want to make sure I choose a girl. Vent sexing makes me nervous...are there any other tells I should be looking for? The ducklings are about 2 weeks old.

2. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    It's easy and tricky all at the same time LOL
    I've got 6 scovies that are now 12 weeks old. When they were about 10 days old I figured I had 4 girls and 2 boys...luckily I was right.

Hopefully there are more than one scovie ducklings there for you to compare. I don't think it's easy at all to tell at the age of one week personally. The boys have thicker legs, larger feet and most often a bigger chest.

I've only had Muscovies for a year so I'm sure there are other more experienced folk that may be able to give you more advice.

Michelle

3. PlumTuckered

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    I apologize, I thought you posted that they are 1 week old.

Do you have other ducklings/ducks at home for the new baby to hang out with when it's older? You're stronger than me if you can simply choose one scovie...LOL they're worse than potato chips for me, I can't stop at one!

Michelle

4. GoatHouseProductions

GoatHouseProductions Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    I have two baby runners that are the same age, so yes, friends! Of course I'm not sure the runners have learned that they aren't chickens yet...but that's another story altogether.

5. PlumTuckered

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    LOL! Have fun picking out your new baby and welcome to BYC!!! I hope you post photos of the new baby once you get her :)

Michelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by