Sexing my 2 new Button quails.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by DdGould, Sep 25, 2011.

1. DdGould

DdGould New Egg

Sep 24, 2011
    Hello to everyone.

Two weeks ago my friends brought me these button quails supposed to be a pair.
    They are now at about the same size, their calls sounds exactly the same and they have never laid an egg.
    So i think the both are males or both females.
    They are really good together with no fights at all.
    As for the mutations, the one i think is pied and the other white.

Do you have any idea of their sex????

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. animal8

animal8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Oxford
    Do they have any red feathers around the vent? That's usually the best way to tell if its male. The dark one looks like it has blue on its breast which would indicate male, but I'm not sure about the white one. Shelleyd and quaillady will probably have a better idea [​IMG]

3. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    with the all white one, you'll probably have to check vent feathers, the other is a tuxedo pied, probably male.

4. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    I know nothing about button quail, but those are so cute!!! [​IMG]

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:It can't be tuxedo and pied, that's two different names for the same thing. Tuxedo has white on the face, breast, wings, and belly, and pied just has white patches, usually on the face or wings.

The dark one is a pied blueface and from the looks of its head, I believe it is male. If that one has any iridescent (shiny) blue on its head or breast, then it is male.

You can't tell the sex of the white by looks, you'll just have to wait until it lays an egg or doesn't.

Check out the sticky to see a youtube video of a button quail crow, I'm sure what you're thinking of is just the call that both males and females make. If either of yours are male and you play the video very loud they should respond to it.

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    The dark one is a blue face pied.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  7. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    Quote:yea...was trying to remember what you had said earlier XD

8. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Never could sex those white ones by sight. The pied has that male look to it though. The one pic where the white looks like it is fixing to head into the hideyhouse, if you look you can see the reddish tint to the vent feathers on the pied (second pic). I've had females that even have the bib of a male but if I can't find those reddish feathers, I keep checking for eggs.

9. animal8

animal8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Oxford
    Can you vent sex buttons? I know it works on larger species, but I don't know if there is a difference between the sexes for buttons [​IMG]

10. Sushi

Sushi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Michigan
    The white one looks like a male to me, because of the slender body. However, the females look like that as well before they start laying eggs. When they get to egg laying maturity their bodies fill out and look a little more plump. You may have to go by the type of crow it has ( HEE Hee hee vs PEW PEW PEW) or wait til it lays an egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by