Sexing my Austrolorp and Cochin

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Balboaroc, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Balboaroc

Balboaroc Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2009
    Carroll County, MD
    I'm wondering about these two I'm picturing here. I have two buff cochins, one of which is no doubt is a pullet in my mind. The other I'm not sure. No crowing or anything and is just as friendly as the other but its comb is slightly larger and redder.

And as for the Austrolorp I've asked about this one before and was told possibly roo but I've also talked to a few others online who said females can get large combs and early. I just have better pictures of the whole body and its a little larger now so I figured roo vs. pullet argument might be easier...

They are all 6..almost 7 weeks old ( this coming sunday) The cochin in question is in the front. My other one I'm positive is pullet is in the back to the right.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a good shot of the Austrolorp.
    [​IMG]

Thanks!!

2. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Australorp is a rooster.
    The cochin I think looks henish, but not 100% sure.
    Look very healthy!

3. Balboaroc

Balboaroc Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2009
    Carroll County, MD
    So what is the giveaway on the Austrolorp...the way the saddle feathers are? That was what I was thinking...

And the cochin its saddle feathers are much like the other pullets in the lot.

4. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    The Australorp is definitely a roo- look at that comb!- and the cochin's comb looks pretty red, but I'd watch the cochin and see what happens. Could be a hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by