Sexing my Buttons

Discussion in 'Quail' started by WisconsinAnimalHouse, Jan 1, 2012.

1. WisconsinAnimalHouse

WisconsinAnimalHouse Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm starting to think I have a male/female pair on my hands, but not exactly sure, so hoping for some input. [​IMG] The one I suspect is male doesn't have a reddish tint near the vent, but I would say maybe slightly brown? It is otherwise silver all over, no sign of a bib. It is smaller than the other one as well. I'm getting one egg a day, so that also tells me there is only one female. I haven't heard any "whirring" or "windy" calls, but there is a distinct howling noise in the early morning. Anyone have any thoughts?

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    do you have any pics? [​IMG]

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Go to quaillady's site, she has lots of pictures of males and females. What you're describing sounds like a silver blueface. Neither males nor females get 'bibs' in a blueface variety. The silver colored males generally have 'pink' feathers around their vents.

www.stellar-gamebirds.com

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  4. WisconsinAnimalHouse

WisconsinAnimalHouse Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2011
    Thanks for the tip, sorry I didn't have pictures - I don't have a camera. I am going to check the vents when I get home, but I have a feeling he is a male. Kinda sad to think all the eggs I've been getting could've been babies! Don't really want to eat them anymore... time to find an incubator. ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by