Sexing my chicks

sueg6255

Songster
11 Years
Apr 9, 2008
LaGrange County
I would like to mark my chicks after I sex them. I would like to mark them so how. Any suggestions? If I use a marker what kind? Help please.

horsejody

Squeaky Wheel
11 Years
Feb 11, 2008
Waterloo, Nebraska
Somebody on this board suggested that I mark mine with a little bit of nail polish on their backs. I tried it. The marking lasts, and doesn't seem to bother them. My 4 week olds look like they need their pink spots freshened up.

Gindee77

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
QCA, Illinois
I have a couple of my chicks marked with little white zip ties on their legs. They are pretty hefty chicks tho. Over 2 weeks old and heavy. I left a little room for them to grow and didn't pull the tie up tight!!

I have also marked one that was showing weird symptoms with a black magic marker on it's head. I don't think I would use a red marker tho!! It could look too much like blood!

sueg6255

Songster
11 Years
Apr 9, 2008
LaGrange County
Thanks everyone for the info. I thought about using a marker but was afraid that it would poison the chicks. Just new to this and loving it~~~~!!!!!!

Gindee77

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
QCA, Illinois
I was just careful to only get the marker on the chick's down on it's head. I didn't rub it down onto it's skin. The other chicks didn't even notice it because I think it was above their line of vision being on top of the head.

Top Bottom