Sexing my chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sueg6255, Apr 9, 2008.

1. sueg6255

sueg6255 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    LaGrange County
    I would like to mark my chicks after I sex them. I would like to mark them so how. Any suggestions? If I use a marker what kind? Help please.

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Somebody on this board suggested that I mark mine with a little bit of nail polish on their backs. I tried it. The marking lasts, and doesn't seem to bother them. My 4 week olds look like they need their pink spots freshened up.

3. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    I have a couple of my chicks marked with little white zip ties on their legs. They are pretty hefty chicks tho. Over 2 weeks old and heavy. I left a little room for them to grow and didn't pull the tie up tight!!

I have also marked one that was showing weird symptoms with a black magic marker on it's head. I don't think I would use a red marker tho!! It could look too much like blood!

4. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Black marker. Why didn't I think of that??

5. sueg6255

sueg6255 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    LaGrange County
    Thanks everyone for the info. I thought about using a marker but was afraid that it would poison the chicks. Just new to this and loving it~~~~!!!!!!

6. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    I was just careful to only get the marker on the chick's down on it's head. I didn't rub it down onto it's skin. The other chicks didn't even notice it because I think it was above their line of vision being on top of the head.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by