1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sexing my chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LeenaB, Dec 16, 2013.

1. LeenaB

LeenaB Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2013
    I tried to take some photos of my chicks wings today to sex them. I wasn't very successful but did manage to get a few of the 7. It was difficult when my photographer is a 9 year old. They're 4 days old in these pics.

They're from my plymouth rock girls, RIR girls and I have a RIR Roo who happens to be the dad of all the chicks.

So.....boys or girls?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Feather sexing does not work unless you are specifically breeding for it. And if the birds were from a hatchery and they were feather sexed themselves, they would be useless for crossing to get feather sexed chicks. Check out this post for more info, it has tons of good information on sex linking and feather sexing.

3. LeenaB

Nov 22, 2013
    That was just the most overwhelming article. From the looks of it my black chicks might be sex linked. But then again, all of my hens and roo came from Agway and I assume they got them from a hatchery. Although my Roo was supposed to be a hen.

I guess I'll have to wait a few more weeks until they show signs of combs coming in, hackles, etc.

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Yes, all your chicks from your barred rock hens are sex linked. Those with a white spot on the head are males.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  5. LeenaB

Nov 22, 2013
    Well, I have at least 2 cockerels out of the bunch and 2 pullets. The other 3 are still question marks. They're from my RIR- two of them are the same color and the other is lighter. I'm really hoping for more pullets.

I know I'll end up keeping one of the barred mix cockerels as I love the temperament of their mothers. The other one will either be given away or end up on a dinner plate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by