sexing my favorite duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AHappychick, Dec 25, 2008.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I dont really name my chickens not since the first batch anyway, and I havent really named the new runner ducks I just hatched but I have been holding them with my son. I have found one that loves to be held by me and pet, now I am in love with the little stinker and will probably name it and all that jazz lol I am wondering how friendly and handlable they can get? Any sugestions on a name? Oh and how can I sex it I am so curious as to how to tell my drakes frome the ladies.

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    You will be able to tell easiest at the age or 4 or 6 weeks when they get their voices. The girls will have a loud brash QUACK while the males will have a softer wahk-wahk sound.

There is a way to vent sex, but not recommended unless you have been taught by an expert. You can kill or injure a duckling easily doing it incorrectly.

Enjoy your little stinker. They are so much fun. And we do require pictures, ya know! [​IMG]

3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:I posted the pics somewhere I think twice even lol

Thanks for the info thats what I thought but was not sure if there was some other way. with the chicks I have been doing the lift by the scruff/leg dangle technique and that mixed with the markings (of the bared Rock) seems to be sort of on target at least I think so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by