sexing my favorite duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AHappychick, Dec 25, 2008.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I dont really name my chickens not since the first batch anyway, and I havent really named the new runner ducks I just hatched but I have been holding them with my son. I have found one that loves to be held by me and pet, now I am in love with the little stinker and will probably name it and all that jazz lol I am wondering how friendly and handlable they can get? Any sugestions on a name? Oh and how can I sex it I am so curious as to how to tell my drakes frome the ladies.

2. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    NE Washington State
    You will be able to tell easiest at the age or 4 or 6 weeks when they get their voices. The girls will have a loud brash QUACK while the males will have a softer wahk-wahk sound.

There is a way to vent sex, but not recommended unless you have been taught by an expert. You can kill or injure a duckling easily doing it incorrectly.

Enjoy your little stinker. They are so much fun. And we do require pictures, ya know! [​IMG]

3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:I posted the pics somewhere I think twice even lol

Thanks for the info thats what I thought but was not sure if there was some other way. with the chicks I have been doing the lift by the scruff/leg dangle technique and that mixed with the markings (of the bared Rock) seems to be sort of on target at least I think so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by