Sexing my little flock of silkie dinosaurs

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DesertSilkieHen, Dec 28, 2015.

1. DesertSilkieHen

DesertSilkieHen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2015
    Tucson, Arizona
    I have five silkies, two of which are 12 weeks old and three of which are 10 weeks old. I have three that I'm pretty sure are pullets, one probable cockerel and one mystery chick. I've posted the pictures below and would love some help! And yes, they are all named after dinosaur genera.
    Also, they'd all been eating watermelon before this so their crests are a little spiky with watermelon juice.
    In the past my sexing has been dead wrong so I'd appreciate corrections to my guesses.

Archaeopteryx ("Archie"): Buff. 12 weeks. Performs 'roo-ish' behavior. Probably a roo.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here is he in the traveling cage relocating for winter break.

Hylaeosaurus ("Hilda"): Splash. 12 weeks. Probably a pullet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tyrannosaurus ("Ty"): Splash?? 10 weeks. Probably a pullet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What do you think about her coloring?

Martharaptor ("Martha"): Porcelain. 10 weeks. Very large but probably a pullet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Avaceratops ("Ava"): Partridge. 10 weeks. Mystery sex. Small, has a light chest and barring (I think) on the feathers but is starting to get a little red on the wings.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You can see the bit of red on her wings here.
    [​IMG]

Some photos of the whole group for comparison.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They all appear to be pullets, but that's the problem with silkies, they appear to be pullets until they crow one day. Hopefully a more experienced silkie person can spot something.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Pullets; but I would watch the first one, it does look a little rooster-ish.

4. DesertSilkieHen

DesertSilkieHen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2015
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks! I was really uncertain about the last one (Ava). Fortunately I'm zoned for roosters (I think) so I can probably keep the first one (Archie) if he does in fact turn out to be a roo. He may need to sleep inside at night though as I don't want to make my landlord and other neighbors miserable!

5. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Archie the buff is most likely a roo. He has a large comb for his age and a crest that is more narrow and swept back. My silkie pullets had non existent combs at 12 weeks. I can try to find a picture.....

6. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Pullet
    [​IMG]

Rooster
    [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I like to see silkies face forward with their crests held back or tied back. I want to see combs clearly, and then assess natural crests as well - some of your photos crests are either wet or greasy which makes it hard to know if they have streamers or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by