Sexing my muscovy ducklings

AquaDuck

Incubator Addict
6 Years
Jun 12, 2017
Northern Europe
Since I failed abysmally last year on thinking my one duckling was a she, but turned out to be a little he, I'm asking this year.

These are my 8 week old ducklings. Let's call them 1, 2 and 3 for the sake of simplicity. 1 was born first, and much bigger than the two others to begin with, but now they're the same size. 3 was sick the first days, so he was quite small for the first week.

DSC_0020_dukkling.jpg
1, 3 and 2 (laying down) (around 5 weeks) 1 began feathering first.
DSC_0027_dukkling.jpg
3, 2 and 1.
DSC_0024_dukkling.jpg
2, 3 and 1.
DSC_0012_dukkling.jpg
3, 1 and 2. (8 weeks)

Didn't find any good pics of their feet, since they always lay down whenever I'm sit down with them. Their feet are all the same size, not small, not humongous.
Saw 3 chasing my grown up drake around the other day. Pretty sure he's a male. Actually, since they're all the same size and look the same, I think they're all male.
What do you guys think?

You should be seeing a noticeable size difference by now if you had both sexes. I think you are right about 3 being a male, his legs are chunky. The other two I'm not sure yet.

You should be seeing a noticeable size difference by now if you had both sexes. I think you are right about 3 being a male, his legs are chunky. The other two I'm not sure yet.

They're exactly the same size both in body and feet, so if there should be a size difference between males and females by this age, then they're either all male or all female. I've only ever had one duckling at a time, so I've never been able to see that difference.

Oh well, as they're considered pets, I guess I'll be having three lovely drakes running around the yard, then!

My boys are now going on 16 weeks and, well, I'm starting to wonder if they indeed 3 boys.
Number 3 went through his puberty, if so can be called, over a week ago. He started hissing instead of chirruping. Head, beak and body got bigger and broader and feet growing. His caruncles are getting more prominent by the day.

But the two others are not coming after. I was thinking they were just slow, but it's been two weeks since 3's first signs of hissing and growing, and they just have a bit more caruncle around the beak and eyes. Chirruping away, no hissing. 3 is the youngest, so no reason why he should be ahead of them, in fact, he was sick his first week and was smaller than the others for the first month.

1's feet especially are TINY. My adult duck's are way bigger. 1 and 2 are both the same size as her, and she's pretty small for an adult.

Are they slow-growing males that will suddenly mature, or are they actually girls?
They're all molting. What's the "latest" a boy can start maturing?

Number 3, Edelbrock, definitely a boy!
DSC_0032_liten.jpg

Number 1, Unas. Tiny feet, thin neck and head. Without getting my hopes up, I really think this looks like a girl.
DSC_0017_liten.jpg

Number 2, Andor. A bit thicker neck and with slightly bigger feet than 1.
DSC_0063_liten.jpg

This was 3 and 1 a week ago. Big head/neck difference.
DSC_0032_liten.jpg

I'd say 2 girls 1 boy.

Yayy!!! :wee

Seeing as they were all the same size and feathered in at the same time, I've assumed they were all boys up until a week ago.
But oh my, I so hope at least one of them is a girl, so I don't have to sell one. They're the sweetest, friendliest creatures.

They are great ducks I love mine.
Pic #2 is def a female just look at the sweet face. And if #3 is a lot smaller than your drake than she is probably a she too. Body shape sure looks girlie.

Congrats!!!

Back
Top Bottom