1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing my pekins

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dicarroll, Sep 12, 2016.

1. dicarroll

dicarroll Just Hatched

Sep 12, 2016
    [​IMG]

Please can you help sex these two?

2. austrolover1

austrolover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2015
    [​IMG]
    I am thinking hens! How old are they! They are beautiful!!!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  3. dicarroll

dicarroll Just Hatched

Sep 12, 2016
    I got them at the beginning of August and they were 8 weeks old so they must be around 13/14 weeks now [​IMG]

4. dicarroll

dicarroll Just Hatched

Sep 12, 2016
    Here's another pic
    [​IMG]

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I would say you have cockerels there. Have they not crowed yet? They are very red and have pronounced combs and wattles for 13/14 weeks old.

6. dicarroll

dicarroll Just Hatched

Sep 12, 2016
    Nope, no crowing, they haven't even clucked yet, still chirp like chicks! I simply can not tell what sex they are and i just can't bring myself to name them until I know if I'll be able to keep them :(

7. BaileyMChicks

BaileyMChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Wisconsin
    At first glance, they looked like roosters to me. But then I looked at your pictures more closely, and I don't see any male feathering. But their combs are really red for their age....At this point they could be either...If they start to develop male feathers, then you have boys.

8. dicarroll

dicarroll Just Hatched

Sep 12, 2016
    Could you define "male feathering" please? They both have feathered feet but I believe this is a pekin trait of both sexes? These two really have me stumped [​IMG]

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    cockerels

10. BaileyMChicks

BaileyMChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Male feathering would be long, semi translucent, shiny feathers in the neck and in between the back and tail feathers. Those feathers are called hackle and saddle feathers. I'll add a picture.

[​IMG]

*this is not my picture. I repeat, NOT MY PICTURE. I got it off of google images. Credit goes to the original owner of the photo*

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by