Sexing my polish chicks (UPDATED 5 weeks old.. more pics)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by teresa-78, Feb 21, 2011.

1. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    I have 4 polish chicks that hatched out of 6..... They are 4 weeks old, probably to young to sex... But I feel I may know the sex of some of them and would like other peoples opinions. Thanks in advance [​IMG]

1# Feel this is a hen

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2# I feel this is a cockeral due to the small comb appearing

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3# Unsure of this one it has slight little bobbles above its beak, but nothing like 2#

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4# Same as 3# unsure about the slight bobbles above beak

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am trying to build up various colours for breeding stock, so I can sell hatching eggs, nothing major just to really pay for the keep of my fantastic chickens. So I can really only keep 1 cockeral from this batch, if 3# is a cockeral then I cannot keep it as I want 2 smooth cockerals with a group of smooth and frizzled hens. I have 6 SL Polish going into lockdown today. Anyway thanks for looking and your input would be much appreciated. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  2. TLeo13

TLeo13 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2011
    oxford, Pa
    They are really pretty chicks. did you uses and incubator or let a hen hatch them? I cant get any of my hens broody which sucks since i want to breed chickens:(

3. teresa-78

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Quote:Hiya thanks very much, I used an incubator to hatch them, have another 6 that have gone into lockdown today, they are SL Polish, so nail biting has commenced lol.

Maybe leaving a few eggs in there nest box.. be sure to mark the ones to be left in.... this may kick start your broodies [​IMG]

4. sutillman

sutillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    south georgia
    Polish very rarely sit on their eggs. As far as the sex of your chicks, when they crow or lay an egg you'll know for sure! I had a six month old that I swore was a hen until he finally crowed! One of the best ways with Polish though is their crest. Males are alot more spikey and females are more smooth and rounded if that helps. Polish are a wonderful breed. I have WC Black, Tolbunt, Buff and GL. They have a personality unlike any of my other chickens!

5. teresa-78

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Quote:Yeah it is rather difficult to tell while chicks... I just got spooked because I saw this comb, and then the bobbles on the other 2 and thought OMG out of 4 I have 3 cockerals lol.

I am 100% sure 1# is hen... and I will eat my own hat if she is not lol...

Tolbunt wow I have never seen that colour before!!!! It looks like it has been in a snow blizzard... I am going to be on the look out for that colour [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  6. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    #1 is a hen.
    not to sure about the rest tho. I found out I had a roo when he was 3 1/2 - 4 months old he was the only one with a little comb [​IMG]

7. teresa-78

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Quote:Thats great thanks I knew 1# was and you just confirmed it, she looks so feminine lol.

2# Has a little comb

3# and 4# have sort of little bobbles, not a comb so fingers crossed they are hens, but that is not my luck lol... I keep checking for tiny wattles to appear lol.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    #3 looks like a cockerel, but frizzle Polish are very tricky

9. teresa-78

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Quote:I would have to agree, he has very thick legs, and the largest of them all, from hatch day to now... I was hoping he would be a hen since I am only
    keeping smooth and frizzled hens and only smooth cockerals. Just my luck lol...

Thanks for your input [​IMG]

10. teresa-78

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Well they are 5 weeks old now, and have changed so much in the past week... do polish pullets have any sign of little bobbles where the comb would be???

Anyway here are more pics and the little bobbles on the frizzle and black chick [​IMG]

#1 Hen??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#2 Cockeral??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#3 ??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]